Monday, 4 July 2011

Raaaaaaaaaage!

Himself and I watched the trailer for the new Age of Conan thingy over the weekend; not that either of us had any intention of actually playing it, but now it's Free To Play we thought we'd look.  And also do a boob count (I've only ever heard about AoC so I wanted to see if it was as bad as I'd been led to believe.)  In fairness, the trailer only had one (!) topless woman (and it did also, I should add, have bare-chested men) and my abject loathing for the game dissipated fractionally.

Then this morning this post from Killed in a Smiling Accident popped up in my Reader and I nearly put my fist through my (new, lovely) monitor. Just to be clear:  I'm not criticising KiaSA in any way at all. (In fact, I should almost be thanking them - it's been a while since I wrote a properly 'frothing at the mouth with fury' post.) I'm raging over being able to purchase women in game, sorry, my mistake - they're not mere 'women' but 'pleasure priestesses' who make those "long nights by the campfire much better." Seriously?

I could write pages on how cross and ranty this makes me but then I figured that a) y'all would agree with me anyway and I'd be preaching to the converted, or b) that you wouldn't agree with me and frankly, if that's the case, I don't give a flying feck what your opinion is anyway.  So very brief rant follows:

Women (or men, or children) are NOT objects to be bought and sold.  Do NOT tell me that they're 'virtual' so that makes it ok.  It doesn't. Do NOT tell me it's 'just a game' - that line of defence is ludicrous under most of circumstances and downright offensive in this case.  If you think that objectification of ANYONE is acceptable, do us both a favour and remove me from your Reader. Ktnxbai.

5 comments:

  1. It seems you can also buy male courtisans... i don't know. I'm not a fan of stuff like this but the free to play is always very tempting. I do remember jumping back into the game for 1 month about...4 months ago? I did not like it. I only played 2 days and uninstalled it again. The game is still boring even if the trailer shows something completely different. Not my game unfortunately. I think I'll wait for The Secret World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humph. I guess that at least makes it equal... I'm trying not to think what the virtual pixels you purchase *actually* do. Ok, now I'm failing to not think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cross and ranty Alq had a long conversation recently with Colt about a single player game he'd bought for her birthday. The Witcher. I didn't mesh with it, and stopped, but he took it on board, and kind of enjoyed it. Except for one thing.

    The whole seduction aspect. You actually GET EXPERIENCE from seductions, because some of them count as quests. THAT I find truly appalling, and despite the otherwise good and dark plot, Colt also found it a significant turn-off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your post, my first question was also "well... what do they do? And... do I even want to know?". Maybe they just follow you around like the succubus in Wow?

    I tried finding the store to read more about this "pet", but I suspect it's only accesible through the game itself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Alq - ewwwwww! Really? Jeez I'm not even sure what to think about that. Wait, yes I do. Ewwwwwwww!

    @ Ironyca - Yeah I kinda wondered that too. But not enough to go and try to find out though, on the basis that I can only rage for so long :) However, AoC appears to be doing nothing new - much to my surprise virtual pixel... molestation has been around almost forever(link NSFW but worth reading for sheer Whiskey Tango Foxtrot-ness!)

    ReplyDelete

Followers