Friday, 1 July 2011

Conversations with characters

I'm really enjoying Azeroth again.  I've masses to do - more, probably then I'll ever actually get around to doing, but I have this niggle.  Everytime I log in, I see Pilf at the top of my screen, and I get a little twinge.  I miss her.  Often.  So I ventured off to Nagrand, to her home in the clouds and we had a chat.

  What do you want?  Why are you here?
  Well, it's been over a year.  I've given you space and time.  I've left you here, with Lenore, floating, but maybe it's time that you continued with your journey now.
  No. Leave me alone!
  Look, I know you're scared.  But you're better.  You're ok now.  You've beaten it all.  All your scars have faded, they're gone.  There's no trace of fel left on you, or in you.
  How do you know?  How can you be sure?  Here... here I'm safe.  I'm fine.  It's peaceful.  I don't need anything.
  You can't run forever.
  I'm not running.  I stopped running when I got here.  Now go away, please.
  Pilf... I can't do that.  I need you to be brave and to take a chance.  I need you to trust me.  I won't let you come to any harm.
  But you did!
  I know.  But things are different now.  I'll protect you.
  Why should I trust you?  Why should I leave here?
   The world is changed.  Have you no curiosity to see what The Sundering wrought?  The new lands?  The havoc wreaked by Deathwing?  Are you not running low on gold...
  I'm managing.
  But for how long?  You're willing to waste all your training, your talent?  You'd rather sit here until your money runs out?  Then what?
  Then I will work for one of the villagers in Garadar.
  What can you offer them that they don't already have, Pilf?  Outlands is all but deserted now.  Shattrath is almost a ghost town. 
  You want me to return to the North?
  I'd like you to consider it, yes.
  For whom would I work?
  I don't know.  Whatever you're comfortable with.
  Can I not just collect herbs to replenish my reserves?
  Just do that?  You don't want to assist your kin with the ongoing effort?
  I don't want to think about my kin.! This was wrought upon me by a Sindorei!
  Ok... ok.  It's ok.  If you're happiest starting off with herb gathering, that's ok.  There is a new craft now though.  It's hard work, so maybe best left until you're stronger...
  A new craft?
  Yes.  Archaeology. But it's physically hard labour. 
  When have I ever been afraid of hard work???
  You haven't.  But you will need to go to a city to speak with a trainer... Can you do that?
  I'll think about it.  Give me a few days.

3 comments:

  1. oooh, it would be nice to have Pilf back again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pilf (the character), I've missed you.

    I have conversations like that with my characters sometimes, though I'm certain I never articulate them quite so well.

    I'm looking forward to Pilf's opinions on Archaeology.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Saga - looking like that may well happen.

    @ Kam - I miss her too. A lot! Just a hunch, but I'm not 100% certain she's going to enjoy manual dirt-digging. But who knows, she may well surprise me yet :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers