Wednesday, 26 January 2011

5.9 million years???

That's the collective time we have spent playing WoW since the 2004 release - according to 'Reality is Broken: Why games make us better and how they can change the world' (link here).  Helpfully, the review in New Scientist gives us a comparator time frame: "that's roughly how long it's been since our ancestors stood upright."

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to have a lie down, as thinking about that has left me a bit boggled...

EDIT: I'd like to add that a) I'm not a mathematician, especially when b) it's early, and c) my brain is streaming out of my nostrils, so whilst that figure is bonkers-ly large I can't break it down for you and say for certain whether it's even vaguely correct.  You can do that maths if you so desire and tell me if I'm wrong...

1 comment:

  1. 12 million players. 4307 hours per person, on average. That's 179 days straight, 530 8-hour working days or 3 years @ 4hrs a day.

    ((5900000y)*(365d*24h))/12000000p = 4307 hours/1player

    ReplyDelete

Followers