Friday, 26 November 2010

20 Days of Warcraft - Favourite Guild Name

(Yes, I missed out Day 5 - I'd kinda written a post a few months back about it and I was having too much fun with my Forsaken hunter chick - so sue me!)

Today's one is an insanely hard question - mainly because I'm really good at seeing guild names and thinking, ohhh that's awesome, then forgetting it 5 minutes later (also called creeping onset of old age, I know...) But I've trawled my memory banks and come to the conclusion that what I really like in guild names is a bit of wit. I don't *need* them to be particularly relevant to Azeroth, as long as they've got a bit of humour or bite. It's why I still think that guilds called things like 'Control Alt Elites' are amusing. Equally I like ones that almost give your character a 'title', for example 'Has Cookies' or 'Knows How to Party' - not relevant to WoW but still quite amusing. My guild, PvE side is 'Synergy' which I like, it's not particularly imaginative, I know, but it's simple and says a bit about the guild ethos (hmm).

I am arsey about guild names, I should admit this. Every single guild called things like 'Sapped Girls Can't Say No' has resulted in me opening a GM ticket and nagging until it gets changed. It's not about a sense of humour failure its about appropriateness. In a nutshell the quote below tells you all you need to know about how I feel about the use of the word or the implication of 'rape' in screamingly inappropriate contexts:

"Let’s talk about rape for a moment. Rape is not what George Lucas did to your childhood. Rape is not what happens when a sports team beats another sports team by a wide margin. Rape is not what happens when your electric bill is higher this month than it was last month. Rape is when a person violates another person in the most despicable, degrading way imaginable and among the myriad of terrible things humans can do to one another, rape is among the worst. I think the casual misappropriation of the concept of rape extending all the way to its widespread comical usage is disgusting even by Internet standards. Off my chest." - Jeffrey Rowland - Overcompensating.

And breathe.

When push comes to shove the guild name I love the best is one from my old PvE server. Bovine Intervention. The meaning behind the name - although probably embroidered on over the years, is straightforward. At the time, the top Alliance guild on the server were called 'Divine Intervention' and, as is the way with the 'top' guild, they weren't universally loved, especially Horde side. So a group of friends (who mainly played - wait for it... *drum roll*, Tauren) decided to make a tongue in cheek guild - Bovine Intervention. Happily they went on to become one of the top 5 progression guilds on the server (mainly, I suspect and from talking to people who played with them, by accident rather than design.) So for a) having an awesome name, b) for mocking an Alliance guild *ducks*, and c) for putting the Horde side back on the map progression wise - it's BI for me.


2 comments:

  1. Bovine Intervention is a great guild name, especially if it was all - or mainly - taurens. And with the Divine Intervention alliance guild.. /applause

    And I'm with you on the use of "rape" it really grates me every time I hear it. I don't care that people say it's just a word or a saying, because it just shouldn't be "just a saying".

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Thud and Blunder'.

    I totally less-than-three that name.

    And (no surprises) but I also report every 'SappedGirls' permutation I come across!

    ReplyDelete

Followers