Friday, 2 April 2010

To all the mons and the monsettes out there...

A few nights ago I was privileged enough to attend a story-telling event and I'd love to be able to let you know which players and guilds organised it, but I've turned off the 'labels above the head' thing as other wise I forget that I'm not supposed to inately know people's name, guild and class...

It was bloody fantastic. A group of people, mainly trolls, gathered together round the bonfire in Bloodhoof Village to tell stories. And oh my god, they were good. Unfortunately I got there at least half way through so I missed the Tauren love story, but heard the one about wrestling with turtles on the Shimmering Flats and the one about chasing a bird with flame on its tail (I'm sure this one had a moral but I was also listening to music on vent and twittering in gchat so I think I missed it...) These players deserve copious quantities of respect. To be able to stroll around and tell stories is impressive enough. To do it all, in what I assumed was real time typing, in troll accented English (ja'h mon) all the way through is a simply stunning feat. I've said before, I would never have the patience to RP a troll due to the accent being what it is, but this wasn't just short sentences, it was speeches, with no typos and it flowed wonderfully. It even stunned Pilf into having manners!

EI genuinely feel that everyone who plays WoW should experience some kind of RP event at least once. It really pulls you up sharp, if your primary 'focus' in the game has always been on levelling and raiding, and I think it's safe to say that the more events of this kind my fellow SAN-ers attend the more people become 'RP converts'. Not suggesting that raiding etc is bad, by any means, I'm just still overwhelmed by the fact that WoW is now an entirely new game for ma again, in many ways, and that gaming 'this' way removes all the pressure and expectations that are continually present in end-game scenarios.

1 comment:

  1. "I'm just still overwhelmed by the fact that WoW is now an entirely new game for ma again, in many ways, and that gaming 'this' way removes all the pressure and expectations that are continually present in end-game scenarios."

    I entirely agree, I barely have any desire to raid at all these days. Most of the time I have none. I haven't come across very much RP yet personally but it interests me quite a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Followers